• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting a Room but Can I Claim expenses?`

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    You mean the icon? That's me calling me a nerd for knowing about the Rent a Room scheme
    Sorry. I'm new on all this!
    Chill.

Comment

Originally posted by thefox1 View Post
      Chill.
      Chilled
      Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by thefox1 View Post
        Course you are
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
          Chilled
          Just trying to help the user who asked the initial question. Wasn't sure about the nerd icon. Maybe ban them all (the icons that is).

Comment

You would need a receipt to support this claim, whether through a brolly or through a Ltd - you need to have some way of proving 1. that you have incurred a cost 2. that it is a business related expense; if your landlord is operating legitimately he should have no problem providing a receipt.
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

just to let you all know that my tenancy agreement I made with my landlord when I moved in, along with a utility bill in my name for my permanent address was enough for the umbrella company for me to claim my monthly rent expense which is paid in cash

Comment

Originally posted by bathingape View Post
                just to let you all know that my tenancy agreement I made with my landlord when I moved in, along with a utility bill in my name for my permanent address was enough for the umbrella company for me to claim my monthly rent expense which is paid in cash
                And, of course. they indemnified you against any later tax due if HMRC disallows this?

Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by bathingape View Post
                  Whilst I am not aware of all the circumstances in what you have described, I would be careful in assuming that all is ok.

A few umbrella companies have faced large bills due to their interpretation of the tax rules on expenses, indeed HMRC could equally challenge your tax return on the basis that you have claimed tax relief on an item that is not accepted.

Tread carefully.

Alan

Comment

Have to agree with TheFaqqer and NW - you are on dodgy ground here and I would certainly not have allowed the expense in the circumstances; the tenancy agreement proves nothing as it could be broken easily and the utility bill is irrelevant. At the end of the day, if HMR&C questioned you about the expense you would not be able to prove that you incurred the cost or that the cost was wholly and exclusively a business expense. You need to be aware that your umbrella company will not reimburse you any additional tax liabilities if HMR&C decide that they got it wrong
                    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
                    X